7.3.12

Nizo 561


Hello, friends!

I finally got my scans back from footage I've been taking with a very special camera: the Nizo 561. This is a super 8 camera, but not just any super 8 camera. When we were robbed I gave up having an iPod and spent my insurance money on this instead... So it cost me a pretty penny, but I'm not complaining.

After doing some experimentation with the B&H 670/XL I decided that I wanted a super 8 camera with more versatility... So after some digging I found this lovely camera. Here's why I bought it:

The Nizo 561 has automatic exposure for ISOs 10-100D/16-160T, as well as manual exposure control, so my film stock options have expanded greatly. It has a time lapse function and alternative frame rates of 24 and 54 fps. It has a variable shutter (although it favours a more open shutter). Finally it has a zoom lens and manual focus, including a close focus function. It can even record some fades and dissolves right on your film!

This is all very exciting, and the camera offers all the control you might need for making a narrative film. For me, however, shooting on the fly was difficult and I wasn't really paying close enough attention to the focus. The exposure on my test footage looks a little wonky also, but it was a pretty bright day and it might have fooled the meter. I really want to do a more controlled test to make sure everything's working okay.

A word of caution: the Nizo 561 uses PX625 mercury batteries. You can buy mercury-free replacements from Weincell, though!

So, here is the test footage! Again, it's really soft. Still, there's something so evocative about film! Even mistakes look lovely. Enjoy.



If you want to see some well-constructed, focused 561 footage, please watch this beautiful film:



xoxo
-C

No comments:

Post a Comment