2.5.12

checking in

Hello, friends!

The end of April is the end of many things for me... I'm finally done my BFA, and done all 18 years of school that I will ever do (well... maybe). I'm pretty much done my film, Sand, although I feel you can never be truly finished with a film. Annnd it's the end of this carefree student youth life I've been living. I've got to start my career!

What better way to start your adult life than to have your parents visit and treat you to dinner and drive you around town for a few days?

This week we had a few film screenings at school: AltDoc, where we screened the course work from the alternative cinema production and documentary production classes, and we had the Persistence of Vision Film Festival. The work put out by UBC students this year was truly phenomenal so if you're looking for a film school or just looking for local talent, please check it out. There are DVDs available from our program office on campus. If you live in Vancouver and missed the festival this year, it'll be back next April, so make a note of it!

Furthermore...

The annual camera trade show & swap meet in Burnaby was last sunday, which is the Mecca for all the crazy people like me who feel like they need more than 10 cameras at a time. It is always fun, and everyone is so friendly and happy to talk to young camera and film enthusiasts. Alec and I scored some Impossible Project film for my Sun 640 from the Camera Traders table, as well as 150 feet of 16mm Kodachrome from the late 50s/early 60s, a Canon 310XL Super 8 camera (with an exposed cartridge in it!) and an Olympus Trip AF Motor point and shoot. What fun. Alec even talked a kid into buying an Olympus Trip 35!

Also, since my dad was with me, he found out that I have a Pentax system and that I want a slide viewer, so he's going to donate some gear to my cause the next time I'm in town. Wicked.

So, I have lots of new material to write about soon, so stay tuned, or whatever.

I want to bring up that it's been about a year since I started Dusty Shutter. Thanks to anyone who reads it regularly! Since I'm starting my career I've got a lot of creating to do in my near future, and I'll be happy to share it all!

xoxo
-C.

No comments:

Post a Comment